The 2017 Sunday Afternoon Film Series is generously sponsored by
Sandra and Mendel Rosenberg.
- All screenings are free of charge and begin at 1:00 p.m., unless otherwise noted.
- All events take place at the Holocaust Museum & Learning Center, 12 Millstone Campus Drive. If our space is unavailable because of building renovations, another location will be given.
- Films are in English, unless otherwise noted.
- Please RSVP to each film by calling 314-442-3711 or by emailing AGoldfeder@JFedSTL.org.
- For more information, call 314-442-3714 or email DReich@JFedSTL.org.
There will be no films shown in May or December because of holidays.
A Brivele der Mamen (A Letter to Mother) – St. Louis Premiere!
Directed by Joseph Green
Poland, 1939, 106 minutes
In Yiddish with English subtitles
This tale of family disintegration and poverty serves as a metaphor for the displacements facing European Jewry at that time. One of the last Yiddish films made in Poland before the Nazi invasion, the film tells the story of a mother’s persistent efforts to support her family in pre-WWI Polish Ukraine and the family’s eventual immigration to the United States in search of a brighter future.
Introductory remarks and a post screening discussion will be facilitated by Diane Everman, Archivist and Curator of the exhibition, “Untold Sacrifices: The St. Louis Jewish Community in the Great War.”